1am on the 31st March was the time that everyone anticipated in the calendar. It finally marked the start of British Summer Time.
A time when the evenings become deliciously warm and bright allowing people to get into their gardens and relax after work. Pub gardens become a beehive of activity from 6pm onwards until dark finally falls. Everyone just feels a little happier, finally we have left the harsh winter behind and it is time to look forward to the whole summer.
Last year, many people were counting down to the 2018 world cup, the year that would finally be our year. Almost. This year there are a host of events that everyone will again count down to. The inevitable summer holidays, sports events, festivals and bank holidays. So, with British Summer Time firmly established here in the UK until October we thought we’d give you a rundown of some exciting events taking place this summer.
- Grand National – 5th – 7th April
- St Georges Day – 23rd April
- London Marathon – 28th April
- Mayday bank holidays – 6th and 27th May
- Chelsea Flower Show – 21st May
- A new royal baby – May
- Queens Birthday – 8th June
- Love Island – June
- Royal Ascot – 18th June – 22nd June
- Glastonbury – 26th June – 30th June
- Wimbledon – 1st July – 14th July
- F1 British Grand Prix- 12th – 14th July
- August Bank Holiday – 26th August
- Rugby World Cup – 22nd September – 2nd November
The end of the rugby world cup will symbolise the end of British Summer Time with the clocks going back and the UK reverting to GMT the weekend before the final. However, enough of that doom and gloom, we have an exciting, fun summer to look forward to first!
It’s not all about dusting off those hats and getting your annual dates in the diary, these yearly events give brands a perfect way to celebrate and engage with customers. Summer promotions can be some of the most memorable especially when linked to a certain event through sponsorship or partnership.
Some of our favourite past summer promotions over the last couple of years include:
- Last year Coca-Cola ran its biggest ever summer campaign, featured across Coca-Cola, Sprite, Fanta and Dr Pepper. Coca-Cola ran an instant win promotion offering customers the chance to win one of 10 life time experiences amongst thousands of other prizes.
- Mando loves an instant win promotion, they can be extremely engaging with huge headlines offering fabulous prizes – just see our latest article all about instant wins here.
- 2018 saw Kellogg’s team up with ITV2’s Love Island to create their on pack “cereal dater” campaign with the grand prize a trip for two to the Love Island final in Mallorca with customers entering via social media channels.
- Social media channels are brilliant for getting a conversation going with customers and to really raise engagement levels.
- In 2017, Desperados celebrated the festival season and gave shoppers the opportunity to win weekend tickets to Parklife, Boomtown and Bestival, plus VIP passes to the Desperados Clubhouse. To enter, consumers entered their unique code printed underneath bottle caps to find out if they had won.
- A great example of a click to win promotion with a very sought after prize. Click to win promotions are a simple yet effective way to stand out from the crowd with headline-grabbing top prizes. Often working as an instant win, this technique allows brands to give away a huge main prize or fund, as well as a host of smaller rewards, all within a set budget. Read more about Click to Win promotions here.
- It wouldn’t be a summer promotions collection without mentioning Wimbledon and Robinsons. Robinsons has been associated with Wimbledon since the 1930s and last year ran a promotion with four pairs of ‘money can’t buy’ VIP tickets and 100 reusable drink bottles prizes given away per week for four weeks. To be in with a chance of winning, consumers had to create and name a new Fruit Creations flavour.
- Robinsons really engaged customers with this promotion and got customers talking about Wimbledon. Tickets are extremely hard to come by and the chance to win VIP tickets was certainly an eye catching headline.
Mando can help on all aspects of promotions from fixed fee, handling and fulfilment alongside promotional guidance and customer support. There are many different sales promotion techniques at our disposal, and we can align the most appropriate method of promotion to your audience, your brand and your objectives.